Who wants to clean the oven, it usually gets to do with burned food leftovers, which have settled down as stubborn incrustations. To clean such a soiled oven is hard physical work. But with the right home remedies is easier: We betray practical cleaning tricks for stove and oven , with which you get the oven and hob spotless.
Not all cooking zones can be cleaned equally with every cleaning method. The materials of the surfaces make the difference here. For example, old stoves usually have an enamelled surface that easily scratched. It therefore does not tolerate either steel cleaning pads or scouring cream. Even the rough surface of the household sponge leads to damage to the surface.
With the ceramic hob it behaves similarly. Steel wool and scouring pad also have nothing to look for here.
Remove items for cleaning the oven
Cleaning is easy, if you remove small parts before. With the gas stove, the steel covers and flame rims can be removed directly at the hearth. Also, the control switch can often peel off and clean so easily. In the oven, it is sometimes even possible to remove the side grates and the floor completely.
Basically you should first soak the dirt. Only in this way can something burnt can be removed from the surface. For all loose parts, it is recommended to soak in diluted Essigreiniger over several hours. After that, cleaning with dishwashing brush and cloth is no problem.
Toothbrush and microfiber cloth
Dried dirt on the hobs of the electric cooker and the bordered edge of the ceramic hob can be done very well after soaking with a toothbrush. Brown spots and encrusted deposits can be easily removed. For the surfaces, microfiber cloths have proven to be the best. They are not only particularly robust and therefore suitable for scrubbing and scrubbing, but can then be washed clean again in the washing machine.
Clean oven with home remedies
The best way to get used to is to clean the stove immediately after cooking with hot water and a little rinsing, as this will make it easy to remove spills and burnt food. If something is branded, home remedies help:
- With shaving cream It is easy to clean the bottom and walls of the oven. Simply spray in, leave for a while and rinse with clean water. If necessary, repeat and then heat the oven once without food. That dispels the smell.
- Washing powder or powdery dishwashing detergent : Spread a thin layer on the bottom of the oven and place two layers of damp kitchen roll paper. Allow to work overnight and remove dirt and wipes the next day. Thoroughly wipe off with clean water and a cloth.
- Clean with salt : Moisten the oven and sprinkle the crusts and stains liberally with salt. It must be a white layer. Now set the oven to 50 degrees and heat until the salt turns brown. This can take some time. Then allow the oven to cool until it is still lukewarm. The salt is best swept out (do not rub on the surface!) And wipe the oven with a damp cloth.
- steam cleaners homemade: insert the grill on the bottom rail and put a bowl of water on top. In the water you press several Lemons and put the halves into it. Then heat the oven to 200 degrees. The hot steam and the acidic essences of the lemon dissolve fat and crusts. Then wipe the still warm oven damp.
- baking powder is the all-rounder among the home remedies par excellence: Make a paste of baking soda and water and put on the dirt. Leave for a while, then wipe everything out. This also works with simple bicarbonate of soda , Also one soda Lye has proven itself. For this you mix best about a tablespoon of washing soda with a liter of water and fill this solution in a spray bottle. So spray the oven and let it soak.
Oven with self-cleaning function
But it is even easier: More and more devices have a self-cleaning function. There are two different methods: catalytic self-cleaning and pyrolysis. Ovens with a catalytic self-cleaning have inside a special coating in which catalysts are embedded. These convert fat splashes and other contaminants into water and carbon dioxide during cooking. The oven must then only be wiped with a damp cloth with a little detergent. Oven sprays, scouring cream or sponges must not come on top of the coating.
The pyrolysis relies on heat: The oven heats its interior to 500 degrees and decomposes dirt that has stubbornly stuck. “However, pyrolysis consumes a lot of electricity,” says Roman Zurhold, project manager of the Energy Efficiency Initiative of the German Energy Agency (dena) in Berlin. “Pyrolysis cleaning costs about one to two euros depending on the duration.”
In pyrolysis you have to air well in any case
Therefore, the expert advises to use the method only if the oven is heavily contaminated. Before the self-cleaning is activated, the loose dirt in the oven as well as baking trays and baking trays must be removed. While the cleaning program is running, the oven will not open – that would be too dangerous. Two to three hours later, the dirt has decayed to ash. The smoldered remains can be wiped away with a damp cloth. Glassl advises: “The pyrolysis process should be well ventilated, as it creates a colorful mix of chemicals and it smells strong.”